FlexVolume is an out-of-tree plugin interface that has existed in Kubernetes since version 1.2 (before CSI). CSI Plugins are still in an alpha feature state.
Windows has a layered filesystem driver to mount container layers and create a copy filesystem based on NTFS. All file paths in the container are resolved only within the context of that container.
The following storage functionality is not supported on Windows nodes:
- Volume subpath mounts. Only the entire volume can be mounted in a Windows container.
- Subpath volume mounting for Secrets
- Host mount projection
- DefaultMode (due to UID/GID dependency)
- Read-only root filesystem. Mapped volumes still support readOnly
- Block device mapping
- Memory as the storage medium
- File system features like uui/guid, per-user Linux filesystem permissions
- NFS based storage/volume support
- Expanding the mounted volume (resizefs)
CSI = Container Storage Interface
Microsoft, S2D [SDS]/2019, Datacenter
Container Orch. Interconnect, Containers, Workload Support