The SDS&HCI comparison has been updated with the latest Nutanix ECP, VMware vSAN, HPE SimpliVity 380 and NetApp HCI enhancements. See below for a brief summary of the update highlights.
Nutanix ECP 5.11:
- New customer base and employee numbers.
- Alignment with new Nutanix naming conventions.
- Managed native Kubernetes service (Nutanix Karbon).
- Tight integration with Frame VDI platform (Xi Frame).
- New VDI load bearing numbers for Citrix and VMware.
- Introduction of storage QoS (IOPS limits).
- Native object storage support (Nutanix Buckets).
- Advanced file analytics for Nutanix Files.
- Availability of Xi Leap cloud service outside US (now includes UK).
- Wider availablity of 2nd generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors (Cascade Lake).
- Higher storage scale-up limit (120 TiB per node).
See more here
VMWare vSAN 6.7 U3:
- Native support for SCSI-3 Persistent Reservations (PR), which enables Windows Server Failover Clusters (WSFC) to be directly deployed on native vSAN VMDKs.
- Enhanced vSAN iSCSI service that allows dynamic resizing of iSCSI LUNs without disruption.
- Support for VMware Cloud Native Storage (CNS). When Cloud Native Storage is used, persistent storage for containerized stateful applications can be created that are capable of surviving restarts and outages.
- Proactive data rebalancing enhancements. All rebalancing activities can be automated with cluster-wide configuration and threshold settings.
- vSAN CPU metric through the performance service and a new command-line utility (vsantop) for real-time performance statistics of vSAN, similar to esxtop for vSphere.
- vCenter forward compatibility with ESXi. vCenter Server can manage newer versions of ESXi hosts in a vSAN cluster, as long as both vCenter and it’s managed hosts have the same major vSphere version.
See more here
HPE SimpliVity 380 3.7.9:
- New HPE SimpliVity 380 Gen10 G and Gen10 H server models. Gen10 G model is software-optimized providing flexibility, while Gen10 H is a hybrid model (SSD+HDD) that is meant for backup and recovery use cases.
- Support for using different versions of the OmniStack software within a federation. Some clusters can have hosts using HPE OmniStack 3.7.9 and other clusters can have hosts all using HPE OmniStack 3.7.8 and above.
- Support for up to 4 storage nodes within a single cluster and 16 storage nodes within a single Federation (4+4+4+4) in Microsoft Hyper-V environments.
- HPE SimpliVity RapidDR v3.0 that introduces support for Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor (50 VMs per recovery plan), a Quick Plan Editor for VMware environments, option to generate Audit Report pdf which contains the entire recovery execution sequence, significant improvement of recovery times for VMware based recovery plans, and improved error reporting and troubleshooting information.
- Stretched Cluster Arbiter introduces support for clusters with hosts that use HPE OmniStack 3.7.8 and other clusters with hosts that use HPE OmniStack 3.7.9.
- VMware Upgrade Manager (VUM) support for upgrading HPE OmniStack software at the cluster level. This feature only works when upgrading from HPE OmniStack 3.7.8 to HPE OmniStack 3.7.9.
See more here
NetApp HCI 1.6:
- Support for VMware vSphere ESXi 6.7U2
- NetApp Kubernetes Service (NKS) that provides on-premises Kubernetes-as-a-Service (KaaS) in order to enable end-users to quickly adopt container services.
- New H615C 1U compute node for graphics use-cases, supporting 1x-3x NVIDIA Tesla M4.
- Ability to update the compute node BIOS and firmware using a bootable USB flash drive or using the IPMI interface.
See more here
Nutanix ECP remains in top position
After the latest update Nutanix ECP maintains its pole position and even strengthens it a bit.
Check the current line-up by clicking on the leader-board below or see the landscape report section for the annual analysis.
Herman Rutten – SDS & HCI Category Consultant
Latest posts by Herman Rutten (see all)
- SDS & HCI Updates: Nutanix, NetApp, vSAN, HPE - September 3, 2019
- WhatMatrix adds Scale Computing HC3 to SDS/HCI Lineup - June 5, 2019
- SDS & HCI News: Pivot3, Datrium, Dell EMC, HPE, Cisco - May 29, 2019