“Trusted Comparisons” ..? So who keeps us “straight” ..? The answer might surprise you … yes, our independent Category Consultants and Product Consultants do an incredible job creating, expanding and maintaining the WhatMatrix comparisons. But you would not believe the amount of feedback we receive on a daily basis from visitors like yourself, our extended community! For that we wanted to say “Thank YOU!”. Open community curation is an integral part of our publishing model and “dots the i” after specialist and peer review. We couldn’t do it without you – keep it coming!
Updates to SDS & HCI Comparison
Back to technical content – the following updates are reflected in the latest version published today in the SDS & HCI comparison – many based on open community feedback – triggering above paragraph.
Updates based on SimpliVity OmniStack for vSphere Release 3.7.0
- Support for vSphere Fault Tolerance on SimpliVity datastores (Customers using vSphere 6.0 or later can now create virtual machines on SimpliVity datastores and enable vSphere Fault Tolerance on these virtual machines)
- Upgrade Manager enhancements (various enhancements – for details see the release notes here)
- Documentation: Events Reference Guide enhancements (Events Guide has been reorganized to allow you to search for event names, alarm names, and correlations between them.)
See all details for this release here
Incorporation of the all-new Cisco HyperFlex 2.5 [version GA’d late last week]
- Native Data Protection and Security
- Native Replication for Disaster Recovery
- Data-at-rest Encryption support with Self-Encrypting Drives (SEDs) and enterprise key management support (KMIP).
- Security hardening and Role-Based Access Control (RBAC)
- HyperFlex Management Lifecycle Enhancements:
- HX Connect – New HTML5 UI for native management and monitoring with intuitive dashboard for cluster health, capacity and performance. Localized for Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
- REST APIs – RESTful APIs accessible through a REST API explorer to enable automation as well as integration with third party management and monitoring tools.
- Smart Call Home -Enhanced auto-support with Smart Call Home integration to enable automated support service request generation for important events. Added option in the HX Data Platform Installer to enable Smart Call Home (SCH)/Auto-Support.
- Smart Licensing integration.
- Enabled for Tech Preview of a cloud-based management service (Project Starship based).
Acropolis Operating System (AOS) version 18.104.22.168
- Support for vSphere ESXi 6.5 and 6.5a including updated support for the following hardware platforms
- Dell XC Series
- Legacy platforms with 16GB SATA DOM
- Support for vCenter Server 6.5
- Software-Only Support for:
- Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers
- HPE ProLiant Servers (use Nutanix Foundation 3.9)
- manage_ovs tool has been updated to support Mellanox 40G NICs
- Nutanix API v3 [Tech Preview – do not use in production environments]
Smaller updates to the Storage Spaces Direct (S2D) listing reflecting changes to the support of Nano Server (Microsoft announced that they are removing infrastructure related features, such as scale-out file server and Hyper-V) Thanks to Romain Serre for the update. As always – all feedback and content has been painstakingly reviewed and integrated by Herman Rutten – Category Consultant for SDS & HCI! PS If you missed Herman’s latest live webcast explaining in detail the recent DataCore evalaution results – go and check the replay out – we promise you wont be bored! Your WhatMatrix Community Board
Latest posts by Herman Rutten (see all)
- SDS & HCI Updates: Nutanix, NetApp, vSAN, HPE - September 3, 2019
- WhatMatrix adds Scale Computing HC3 to SDS/HCI Lineup - June 5, 2019
- SDS & HCI News: Pivot3, Datrium, Dell EMC, HPE, Cisco - May 29, 2019